Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ooey Gooeyness: Homemade Marshmallows!

My beautiful stand mixer has been sitting in its box on the kitchen counter for 3 days, partly because I wanted to make something really awesome first, and partly because I was kind of scared to open the box since I've been wanting a mixer for so long that it seemed like if I opened the box there might not really be a mixer there. So this morning, ingredients in hand, I tackled the box. I opened it and had a brief meltdown when I realized that it was empire red (aka bright red) and not, as I had thought, cinnamon (aka dark red). But I looked online, and realized that it would cost me about $40 and two weeks to get the other color, so I decided that I'm ok with empire red, even if it's pretty much glowing from the corner of the counter. Once I started making things however, I forgot this petty grievance, as I did a happy little I-have-a-mixer dance around the kitchen.


So? you ask. What did you make first? What is that pile of beautiful, fluffy, not quite perfectly square objects? Oh those, I answer nonchalantly, those are homemade marshmallows of course! And really, I have to say, they weren't all that hard. A little sticky, and a little time-consuming, but definitely worth it! They come out soft and delicious and addicting, and oh so much better than storebought marshmallows.

A couple of caveats before sharing the recipe: First, I think a stand mixer is pretty much required. Either a stand mixer, or an incredibly powerful hand mixer and some really strong arms, because the marshmallows take a looong time to mix. Second, the syrup that you start with (which gradually turns into the marshmallows) is incredibly sticky. Not just a wee bit sticky, but amazingly so. Kind of like the melted butter/marshmallow combo that you use for rice krispie treats, but more cement-like. I accidentally got a few drops on the bottom of my pan and didn't notice, and then set the pan in the window ledge to cool. When I picked the pan back up, the sticky syrup and a good chunk of paint from the window ledge were stuck to the bottom. And third, at the end what you put the sugar/starch combo on the outside of them, the powder gets EVERYWHERE. You're pretty much going to have to plan to sweep afterward, especially if you have a husband who already shakes his head in bewilderment over how you manage to coat the whole kitchen in flour (or sugar or cocoa or milk or....) when you bake. Calling the end process messy would be a bit of an understatement. But I promise, as soon as you sink your teeth into one of these bites of delectably sugary goodness, you'll realize it was all worth it!




Homemade Marshmallows
(from Molly Wizenberg's recipe in July 2008 Bon Appetit)

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 cup cold water (divided)
3 1/4-ounce envelopes of unflavored gelatin
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup potato starch (aka potato flour)
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Pour 1/2 cup cold water into the bowl of stand mixer with the whisk attached. Sprinkle the envelopes of gelatin over the water. Let this stand at least 15 minutes, until the gelatin softens and absorbs the water.

In a medium saucepan (one that you don't mind getting sticky) combine the granulated sugar, the corn syrup, salt, and the remaining 1/2 cup cold water. Stir this over medium low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush. Increase the heat until the syrup comes to a boil. If you have a candy thermometer, boil the syrup (without stirring) until it reaches 240 degrees F. I didn't have a thermometer, I boiled mine for 8 minutes, and it seemed nice and thick and hot.

Start the mixer on low speed, and then carefully pour the syrup into the gelatin, making sure that you don't splash since the syrup is very hot. Gradually increase the speed of the mixer to high, and let it beat until the batter is very stiff and thick, about 15 minutes. The mixture will gradually thicken and turn opaque as it stiffens. Add in the vanilla at the very end, and then beat it for about 30 seconds longer.

Carefully scrape the marshmallow batter into a 13x9 inch pan that is lined with foil, and has had the foil lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Smooth the top of the marshmallow with a wet spatula, let stand uncovered at room temperature until firm, about four hours.

In a small bowl mix the potato starch and powdered sugar. Dust a large cutting board or pastry cloth with a generous amount of the starch/sugar combo. Turn the slab of marshmallow-y goodness out of the 9x13 and onto the starched surface. Carefully peel off the foil, and dust the top of the slab with the starch combo too. Coat a small sharp knife (or cookie cutters) with nonstick spray. Cut the marshmallows into squares or other shapes. Toss them in the bowl of remaining starch/sugar combo so that they're coated on all sides. Transfer the marshmallows to wire racks (with pans beneath to catch the excess) and shake them a little, but be careful--the powder goes everywhere.

Transfer the marshmallows to an airtight container--preferably with parchment between the layers if you're not planning to eat them right away. I cut mine into cubes about 3/4 of an inch square, and got about 75 or so.

The vanilla ones are pretty perfect, but I'm already envisioning ones made with peppermint extract floating in a large mug of cocoa, and Noel says that he thinks that coconut ones would be delicious. I forsee lots of marshmallows in our future!

2 comments:

How Jess Reads said...

Mmmmm homemade marshmallows. Thats all I gotta say!

Anonymous said...

ooey 'goodness' is more like it --