Monday, August 18, 2008

Five reasons I want to move to Scotland

1. It's socially acceptable to eat scones for breakfast AND tea.

2. I'm pretty sure I'd giggle forever if Noel ever put on a kilt.

3. I could say words in indecipherable English. Things like "awae wi ye"!

4. Edinburgh sounds like an amazing place to live--full of spectacular architecture, a varied history, and a hilariously dour population.

5. I'm kind of in love with John Rebus. In the last month I've read six Ian Rankin books. I read one a few months ago, without realizing I started with the 18th in the series or something like that. I liked Rebus's character at that point, but I wasn't particularly hooked until I started with book one, Knots and Crosses, and am now through Mortal Causes, book six. Reading them in order makes Rebus come to life. You catch the little references about the fringe characters in his life that carry on from book to book. It's also possible to watch his character change, often as a result of the changing women in his life. His ongoing battles with 'whisky' and cigarrettes make him real, a little bit depressing, and a little bit funny, in a very Scottish sort of way.

I'm definitely hooked! So awae wi ye, I've got more Ian Rankin books to read!

No comments: