Sunday, August 10, 2008

Well, here's the recipe I complained about in my last post

I figured I'd include the recipe for the enchilada sauce anyway, since it really was a lovely color and consistency. If you just cut the chile powder in half (or maybe even less) I think it could actually be quite tasty. I think if I make this again I would also use a spicy tomato sauce, such as El Pato, to give it a bit more of a kick.

Enchilada Sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
2-4 tbsp chile powder (to taste)
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion salt

In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and chile powder, whisking to prevent lumps, and cook until lightly brown. Gradually stir in the tomato sauce, water, and spices, and stir until smooth. Let the sauce cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Taste, adjust seasonings if necessary, (I would definitely not use more than 2 tbsp chile powder, and I might even increase the garlic powder and onion salt a little bit). Once the seasonings are to your liking, cook for another minute or two until all spices are blended in, and then use to make enchiladas, burritos, or whatever else your little heart desires.

1 comment:

Brightflight said...

Hey Jessica, next time you get chili powder try and find ground chile de arbol. It's a little spicier than the New Mexico or California chili powder so you won't need to use as much but it tastes better. Also, instead of chili powder you can use canned adobo chilies. You would probably only want to use one or two, probably one, just throw it in a food processor with the can of tomatoes to blend it. It makes a smokier enchilada sauce.