Friday, August 15, 2008

Absentmindedness


Normally I'm a fairly precise baker. Messy, but an accurate measurer anyway. But in the last week I have made two batches of muffins, in my quest to find a yummy, healthy muffin, and both times I have left out key ingredients.

On Monday night I made banana muffins, not the fat free version I tried before, but a low-fat version which seemed to be coming together nicely. Then right after I had scooped all the batter into the muffin tins I licked my finger, and realized I'd left out the sugar. So I scooped what I could back out into the bowl, mixed in the sugar, and put it back in the tins. Surprisingly they actually tasted pretty good, but they looked totally weird! The remants of what I hadn't been able to scoop out were dark and crusty, so while the main part of the muffins were good, they had these bizarre crispy lumps and bumps all over the outsides. Needless to say, I did not take pictures of this batch.

Then last night I made some blueberry banana muffins, mostly because I had tons of blueberries and one sad and blackened banana still hanging out. This time I completely forgot to add the egg--and I didn't realize it until they were halfway through their baking time. They came out looking ok, and they don't taste necessarily bad; but kind of odd. The word that comes to mind is flat, which doesn't really make sense in a muffin, especially since they didn't fall flat, but there's just some sort of flat flavor to them.

So I'm working on the muffin challenge. But before I post more recipes I think I'd better actually make one completely. Hopefully sometime this weekend, once I've escaped from my Olympics-induced stupor and caught up on sleep a little bit I'll be able to make some really delicious (and accurate) muffins!

No comments: