Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Superbowl Un-Victory



A few months ago I got Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, and although I've drooled over the photographs several times I hadn't yet made anything out of it. Today I was flipping aimlessly through some cookbooks looking for something inspirational to make for a Superbowl party tomorrow. I came across a recipe for One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes, which sounded (a) easy, and (b) decadent...pretty much my favorite combination when it comes to desserts. So I pulled out my canisters of flour and sugar--and the sugar canister promptly proceeded to crack across the bottom and spill about 3 cups of sugar all across the floor of the pantry.

Slightly demoralized, I decided to press on, and mixed up the cupcakes anyway (while my super awesome husband cleaned up the sugar fiasco). I'm pretty sure that I should've taken the sugar explosion as a warning shot across my bows, because the cupcake batter was suspiciously runny. I gave it some shifty looks out of the corner of my eye as it was mixing, but decided that now I'd already invested 2 1/2 cups of sugar (plus the 3 on the floor) more than a cup of cocoa powder, 3 eggs, and a silly amount of milk and oil in them, that I'd better just try baking them.


Sadly they came out looking like this.




And they left my pans looking like this.


So, Martha Stewart, you definitely let me down this time. I went ahead and baked some basic toll house chocolate chip cookies for tomorrow. After I made them I remembered that I usually substitute shortening for part of the butter so they come out softer, but oh well, at least they taste good. And they didn't destroy my muffin tins/oven racks. Hrmph. Oh well, if I'm lucky I can talk my husband into cleaning the oven too!


No comments: