Monday, April 14, 2008

Mysteries, Fajitas, and John Adams

I am a bit of a mystery addict, I will gladly admit it. I'm still 'reading' that Ian Rankin audiobook, as well as Harem by Barbara Nadel, and I'm debating between starting another Henning Mankell or a Peter Lovesey next. My problem is that I don't like to carry books around with me....hence the audiobook in the car, the Nadel at work, and the as-yet-to-be-determined at home book.

I just finished yet another book about the American Revolution (by Joseph Ellis). The more I read about the American Revolution, the more I like John Adams. I've realized that I allowed myself to be swayed by Thomas Jefferson's more suave appeal in the past, but I've come to realize what a chameleon he really was, and Adams's blunt convictions have grown on me a lot. I can't wait till the HBO special comes out on dvd, so I can watch it. I hope that Paul Giametti does Adams justice.

Today at Sunflower Market I found some beee-yooo-tiful bell peppers: green, orange, yellow, AND red, for only 77 cents each, which made me extraordinarily happy. That made visions of fajitas dance through my head; so now I'm home, the beef is marinating in the fridge (slathered in garlic and lime juice and cumin), the tortillas are resting on the counter, and all is in order for when Noel gets home. It's going to be a colorful and delicious meal, my favorite kind.

In my last blog I was debating whether to make peanutbutter kiss or chocolate chip cookies--I ended up making the pb ones, since I've had kisses in the freezer since Christmas, and decided it was about time to use them. I was quite happy to see that after only an hour at the picnic, when there were still dozens of brownies and cakes and chocolate chip cookies left, that all 48 of my cookies were gone. :) A small, silly, but satisfactory moment on my part!

No comments: