Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Asparagus....and Istanbul

Last night I made a recipe from the April edition of Bon Appetit for an Asparagus Tart. The recipe description said something like the "taste of asparagus is in every bite" and they weren't kidding! It was reeeeally asparagus-y. I'm a fan of asparagus, but this was a bit much even for me.

It was lovely to look at though, a golden brown crust filled with a pale green puree of asparagus and cheese, and then the dark green asparagus tips above that. I really wanted to like it, just because it was so pretty. Sadly my camera was battery-less at that point, so I didn't get any pictures, but this blogger took some beautiful pictures of it. I think I'll give the tart another shot--with a little more cheese and sopressata, and a little less asparagus in the puree. And maybe a hint of spiciness would help. But if you like a lot of asparagus flavor, and a quiche-like consistency, you'll totally love this recipe. And, it looks impressive even though it's easy!

On the book front I'm still not quite sure why I'm reading another Barbara Nadel book. I really didn't like the first one--too much creepy sex for me--and yet for some reason I picked up another one. I like the character of Inspector Ikmen a lot, which I think is why I'm giving it another shot, but something about the way Nadel conjures up a dark and brooding Istanbul gives me the willies. Maybe it's the descriptions of the remnants of the Ottoman empire, the pervasive aura of cigarette smoke and Islam that seem to permeate the pages of the book, or the characters that lack basic human decency, but somehow it's vaguely repugnant and yet irresistible at the same time. I kind of want to stop reading it, and yet, I have a feeling that I'm going to finish it...

No comments: