Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sugar Free "Icebox" Pie


Given that we know about sixteen people that are diabetic (and I'm related to at least half of them) I've been thinking that I ought to come up with some more sugar free recipes. We celebrated my father-in-law's birthday last week, and since he was one of the diabetic people that we know, I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to test out a sugar free recipe from my mom. It's super easy, a no-bake pie, but it's delicious and refreshing, and you really can't even tell that it's sugar free.

I did make my own graham cracker crust, which makes it not quite sugar free, but you can easily buy pre-made sugar free crusts. I just like the taste of homemade crusts a lot better.



All it takes is sugar free jello, sugar free whipped topping, some ice and some boiling water, and a few add-ins if desired. I made two with orange jello, and split a small can of well-drained mandarin oranges between them. I made another with raspberry jello and added 3 oz of chopped sugar free dark chocolate. Both were really good....one of my mandarin orange ones came out with a slightly soggy crust, but the other one was fine, so I'm not quite sure what happened there. But each pie was creamy, cold, sweet, and quite pretty looking. I decided to forgo blowing out candles, since I was afraid that the heat of the candles might melt them a little bit, but they were festive in their own candle-less way. The raspberry chocolate one came out looking especially pretty. So make a diabetic happy, go make a sugar free pie!



Sugar Free "Icebox" Pie

one (9 inch) sugar free graham cracker pie crust
one (0.3 oz) pkg sugar free jello
one (8 oz) pkg sugar free whipped topping, thawed
2/3 cup boiling water
2 cups ice cubes
optional: 3 oz sugar free dark chocolate, chopped
or one small can no sugar added fruit, well drained

Dissolve the jello in boiling water, whisk till completely smooth. Whisk in 2 cups ice cubes, stir for 2 minutes, or until jello starts to quick-set, remove any remaining ice cube pieces. Fold in whipped topping. Fold in fruit or chocolate if desired. Spoon into graham cracker crust, refrigerate at least one hour before serving, serve cold. Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments: