Sunday, November 9, 2008

False Advertising: Amish Friendship Bread

So this picture isn't actually Amish friendship bread, it's banana bread. I did make some more friendship bread: the two loaves in my fridge and the two more loaves in my freezer can attest to this! But, Noel left the camera at work, so I couldn't take any pictures. Personally I feel like the pictures are what make food blogs though, so I couldn't just leave you pictureless. In fact, maybe I'll share another of my favorite pictures:


Those are the chocolate ganache cupcakes I made for Noel's last birthday, and looking at that picture I think it might be about time to make them again.

But, first, I was here to talk about Amish friendship bread...which does look a bit banana bread-ish, so the picture isn't too far off. I tried two new variations this week, and they both came out nicely.

The first was butterscotch: I omitted the cinnamon from the original recipe, and used butterscotch pudding mix, and then added about 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips. This one isn't my favorite, it's a little too butterscotchy, but Noel is kind of in love with it. I made it in an 8x8 square pan though (plus a loaf pan), so the bigger one came out a little more cakey, and it had a nice consistency.

The second variation was lemon: I again omitted the cinnamon, substituted lemon extract for the vanilla extract, and then used lemon pudding mix. The loaves came out cheerily yellow, and have a light, bright flavor. The lemonness reduces the sugar a little I think, so it doesn't taste quite as sweet as the other variations I've tried.

I highly recommend any of the four variations of the friendship bread I've tried so far...once again, if you want a starter just let me know! Just make sure your camera is handy before you start baking!
P.S. I took all four variations to a brunch on Thanksgiving day (lemon, cinnamon, chocolate, and butterscotch) and the original cinnamon recipe was by far the most popular.

No comments: